The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) invites applications for a postdoctoral research position in Radio Astronomy and Space Science. The selected candidate will be engaged in Research & Development work at UAEU’s National Space Science & Technology Centre (NSSTC) and the College of Science. This work will primarily involve the commissioning, testing, regular operations and observational research with a 256-element Radio-Array Observatory for Space Science that is currently being deployed at NSSTC – UAEU in collaboration with the Radio Astronomy group at Curtin University – Australia. The candidate will be a part of a dynamic Radio and Space Science group at UAE University, working in a conducive R&D environment with generous support. There may be a possibility for the candidate to avail an opportunity to gain valuable professional experience by working alongside our collaborators (Curtin University) in Australia. The candidate may also take part in some other activities at NSSTC (such as operations of co-located ground-based facilities). The language of the workplace is English.
The UAEU’s NSSTC has a mandate to work in line with UAE’s National vision to boost Astronomy and Space Science R&D and to contribute significantly to rapidly growing space sector in the country.
Qualified candidates from all nationalities are welcome to apply and will be considered for a package commensurate with academic and research accomplishments. Candidates are expected to have a strong commitment to Astronomy and Space Science related R&D, demonstrable capabilities that will enable the candidate to contribute significantly to the aforementioned R&D program and the drive to publish their work in reputed journals. The selected candidate will take an active part in the efforts towards the growth of the College of Science, UAE University and NSSTC’s large-scale Astronomy and Space Science initiative.
The position is based at the UAEU’s main campus in Al Ain, about one and half hour drive from Dubai. The UAEU is the largest and the top ranked public sector University in the United Arab Emirates. The Astronomy and Space Science team at UAEU comprises researchers and faculty members at NSSTC and the College of Science working in various areas of Astrophysics, Planetary Science, Remote Sensing and Satellite development. The position offers a competitive monthly tax-free salary, medical insurance and a return air-ticket to the candidate’s home country once a year.
– A Ph.D. in Astronomy / Astrophysics /Space Science / Engineering Physics / Electrical / Electronics Engineering with an affinity for Astrophysics research or a closely related discipline.
– Ability to work with Astronomy instrumentation (Frontend and Backend).
– Comfortable with signal/data analysis.
– Familiarity with programming and scripting.
– Research publications/PhD thesis on related topics.
– Some experience of being involved in similar work (at least at the PhD level).
– Ability to work independently and take responsibility for the timely accomplishment of project-related objectives.
– Skills to work with a team of researchers, technicians and students.
– Excellent communication skills in English, both verbal and written.
– A Ph.D. in Radio Astronomy.
– Ability to work with Radio Astronomy instrumentation (radio antennae, receivers, backend).
– Affinity for technical aspects of radio astronomy.
– Expertise in signal/data analysis, processing and interpretation.
– Expertise in Python programming and scripting.
– A track record of research publications on Radio Astronomy related topics.
– Post-PhD experience in similar work.
– Pro-activeness, independence, self-motivation, initiation.
– Leadership, teamwork, supervision.
– Excellent interpersonal skills for cross-cultural communication and interaction.
– PhD Research in a relevant field (Post-PhD experience preferred).
– Familiarity with Radio instrumentation and software.
– Comfortable with Research & Development work.
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.