The policy for IELTS Postponement, Cancellation & Refunds is effective from January 15th, 2021.
Please note: This is the policy for IELTS (Academic and General Training), you can find the UKVI cancellation and refund policy here.
General Conditions for Postponement / Date Transfer
You are only allowed to transfer your test date once.
- If you receive a transfer to a new test date (either before the test or due to illness) and are ill on the second test date, then you are not entitled to a refund of the test fee nor to any further transfer to a new test date.
- The IELTS test date can be postponed after deduction of an administrative fee, if an original medical certificate confirming illness and stating your inability to appear for the test on the scheduled test date is provided within five days of the test date, together with the Online Application Form.
General Conditions for Cancellation & Refund of fees
The IELTS test fee is refundable after deduction of an administrative fee.
Once the application is received and verified, any details that are found to be missing or if any further details are required from the candidate’s end, we will reach out to the candidate via an email. If all details are found complete, we will update you on the status of your request via SMS once the refund is initiated.
Refund of the test fees will be done through the following modes:
- The fee paid online will be refunded to the bank account that was used for making online payments.
- The fee paid at ICICI bank will be refunded via NEFT.
If the application is approved, the test centre will refund the amount in the account number mentioned on the application form. Please note that refunds can take up to five (5) weeks to process.
Your IELTS test fees will stand forfeited under the following conditions:
- If we do not receive the Online Application for cancellation of IELTS along with the supporting documents before the scheduled test date, you will be marked as absent and all claims shall be forfeited.
- If you have paid for your IELTS test through ICICI Bank but did not complete your registration for the test (with us) within three months of the date of payment of the test fee, the full test fee will be forfeited and we will not be able to grant a refund or fee adjustment against any future test date.
Request under “Extraordinary Circumstances” prior to test date
Pen & Paper based IELTS
A request received by the centre less than five (5) weeks (i.e. 34 days) prior to the test date, but before the commencement of the test will be treated as a Transfer, subject to the application fulfilling the conditions of Extraordinary Circumstances as listed below and the centre accepting the application.
A request received by the centre less than three(3) weeks (i.e. 21 days) prior to the test date, but before the commencement of the test will be treated as a Transfer, subject to the application fulfilling the conditions of Extraordinary Circumstances as listed below and the centre accepting the application.
General Conditions for Extraordinary Circumstances requests
Serious illness linked to hospital admission or other serious illness making the candidate not able to sit the test. For example – COVID-19, Typhoid, Jaundice, Eye flu, Infectious disease, surgery, etc.
A medical certificate signed by a registered medical practitioner and bearing his/her registration number.
Serious injury linked to hospital admission or injury such as a fracture of the hand used for writing etc.
Hospital admission certificate and discharge summary (in case of hospitalisation)
|Loss or bereavement – the death of a close family member, hardship or trauma||A death certificate signed by a medical practitioner and bearing his/her registration number|
|Victim of crime||Police report/FIR|
|Victim of traffic accident||Police report/FIR|
For an application to be considered under this category, the candidate must submit the online application form’s below, along with relevant document (original and certified copy) attested by a first-class government officer and email you scanned documents at ExamsCustomerCare@britishcouncil.org with Subject line clearly mentioning Extraordinary Circumstances – Candidate Name, IELTS reference number, Test date, and City.
For example, Extraordinary Circumstances – Your name, IELTS reference number, test date (dd/mm/yyyy), city.
On receipt of a request under extraordinary circumstances, British Council will verify the facts and reserves the right to accept or reject the application at its discretion without giving reasons. Once an application is accepted under the extraordinary circumstances category, only a transfer request will be considered and the administrative fee will be applicable.