Provide Exceptional Guest Service to Our People. Join the Human Resource Department in Yellowstone National Park!
The HR and Housing Manager is a full time year round position located in the Mammoth area of Yellowstone National Park. This position
reports directly to the Area Operations Manager with a dotted line reporting relationship to the Assistant HR Director or, in their absence, the HR Director.
To learn more about the Human Resource department in Yellowstone, click here!
What We Provide
- Company provided housing
- Vacation, Holiday and Sick Leave
- Health, life and other insurance benefits
- Free Employee Recreation Program (hiking, photography, camping, wildlife watching, and more!)
- Discounts in and around Yellowstone
Why Yellowstone National Park Lodges
We are a welcoming community who work hard, share a real passion for the environment, and enjoy crafting memorable experiences for our guests. As part of the Xanterra Travel Collection, we are the primary authorized concessioner in Yellowstone, and as such, we are proud stewards of the park.
Xanterra Travel Collection is on the front end of a 20-year concessions contract with the National Park Service. Yellowstone National Park Lodges serves approximately 4 million visitors yearly, 3500 employees in park housing, 2000 guest rooms, and 1200 campsites. There are nearly 800 structures under our care throughout Yellowstone including a new LEED Platinum dormitory and 2 National Historic Landmarks in the Old Faithful Inn and Lake Yellowstone Hotel.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
- Train and guide managers in support of consistent employee documentation and discipline standards, ensuring adherence to parkwide practices, established company policy & procedure, State and Federal Law, and National Park Service standards.
- Effectively advise and lead seasonal property management teams on all aspects of Human Resource policy and practice through excellent interpersonal communication, teambuilding, continual development, and positive coaching and feedback.
- Provide a sounding board for employees at all levels; handle personnel issues with sensitivity and confidentiality as required, resolve issues in a tactful and timely manner. When appropriate, utilize and/or provide employees with available support resources and make appropriate referrals.
- Objectively and consistently initiate and/or monitor coach, corrective, and disciplinary action related to employee conduct and company policy infractions.
- Serve as a primary resource for investigation in highly sensitive areas including claims of harassment, discrimination, threats of violence, etc. Perform thorough, timely, and effective investigations, conducting lawful and sensitive interviews and involving others as appropriate. Make recommendations and reach conclusions using judgment and application of policy and precedence. Involve and/or communicate necessary information to Operations, HR Support and Leadership, and NPS as appropriate.
- Assess and triage situations and effectively identify those concerns needing to be escalated. Where appropriate, identify the appropriate HR, Operations, or NPS contact and involve them for support in a timely and professional manner.
- Maintain confidential, complete, and legally compliant employee files and investigative files. Ensure main HR office is copied on relevant documents in a timely manner.
- Work cooperatively and confidentially with Department Managers, Operations, Support Staff, and the HR/Housing/Personnel team to resolve sensitive employee issues. Share necessary concerns and information to aid in same. Able to effectively triage and identify those situations needing to be escalated and making appropriate contact with HR leadership, Operations, and/or Support Staff.
- Actively support department and operations managers on company standards and practices related to the selection, training, and managing of employees at their assigned properties. Partner with the internal learning & development department to identify department manager strengths and weaknesses with the goal of developing effective support systems and ongoing education.
- Provide relevant ongoing support training as necessary for Managers and Supervisors as well as conduct one-on-one coaching sessions with all new managers/supervisors in the areas of effective HIGs (How’s It Going) writing, communication, relationship building, business knowledge, and results. This includes coaching and supporting in department coaching, corrective action, and documentation of all employees on property.
- Actively monitor turnover trends and capture metrics to identify areas of concern related to retention.
- Audit employee and manager onboarding initiatives programs and make recommendations for enhancements to improve employee assimilation.
- Perform legally compliant terminations and/or serve as guidance, consultation, and witness during terminations performed by others. Ensure terminations are conducted effectively and sensitively. Communicate with tact and diplomacy to those departments needing to be advised of termination information.
- Continually seek improvement of efficiencies in processes and procedures throughout all operations with the goal of consistently improving standards of internal guest service while maintaining and/or reducing overall company liabilities and HR operating expenses.
- Support employee reward, recognition, and engagement programs to include the monitoring, tracking, and active encouragement of all recognition programs.
- Attend various location and departmental meetings on a regular basis and contribute useful information as appropriate. Share information gained in meetings with entire HR department in an effort to support effective location communication.
- Develop strong partnerships with various internal guests including, but not limited to, Operations Teams, Departmental Support Staffs, Parkwide HR & Housing Staff, Security Staff, Managers & Supervisors, HR Support, and NPS. Represent the HR department and Company in a professional and cooperative manner at all times.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of employee information including profile changes, payroll deductions, employee checkouts, etc.
- Respond to requests and concerns from Employees, Support Staff, Management Staff, NPS and others as appropriate in a timely and professional manner.
- Assist in the preparation and facilitation of HR-related training, development, and process improvement for seasonal HR Management staff.
- Utilize personnel reports and offer assistance to location departments as needed to accurately assess staffing issues (i.e., to compare actual staff numbers to budgeted staff numbers, to monitor room and board charges, to monitor staffing activities including: arrivals, transfers, promotions, terminations, etc.) and communicate concerns to appropriate location, support and HR Management staff.
- Perform employee file audits and initiate steps (retraining, corrective action, etc.) to ensure appropriate file maintenance.
- Communicate appropriately and accurately on open positions both on-location and parkwide. Direct employees appropriately on both internal applications and transfer applications.
- Continuously work to develop and strengthen relationships with local management and NPS personnel while ensuring compliance with company and contract related directives.
- Ensure that all Housing expectations, as outlined in the Housing Manager and Assistant Housing Manager job descriptions are met, and all personnel are held accountable to outlined standards and expectations.
- Assist with employee communication, recognition, and engagement initiatives
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director, Human Resources and/or Regional HR director.
- Demonstrated skill in the areas of leadership, decision making, delegation, time management, problem solving, organizational and interpersonal communication.
- Excellent follow-up skills with ability to shift priorities and restructure time and energies to perform in an optimal capacity. Make sound judgment both independently or collaboratively.
- HR Certification preferred.
- Minimum of three years Xanterra Yellowstone Management and/or HR experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to persuasively and professionally guide and motivate others and to effectively communicate complex information to a wide variety of audiences.
- Knowledge of Company policies and procedures, Park/Company guidelines and resources for cases with extenuating circumstances.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Possession of valid drivers license and safe driving history required.
- Able to walk through location housing facilities, including climbing stairs, on a daily basis.
- Able to walk from HR office to offices of other location department managers on a daily basis.
- Able to remain seated for periods of 30-120 minutes or longer.
- Able to walk and/or stand a minimum of 30 minutes at a time.
- Able to walk up to one mile continuously.
- Able to walk on uneven terrain, including icy and snow covered areas.
This position has authority and responsibility of managing all phases of the Human Resources operation at their location. This position will also be responsible for directing work of the Assistant HR Manager Position and Housing positions in meeting the departmental expectations outlined below.